Who Covers You?

heading divider

Whose insurance covers you after an automobile accident? Under the Michigan no-fault insurance law, it can depend on the circumstances of your crash.

If you were driving your own car and another driver hits you, your own no-fault insurance policy will kick in and pay the benefits.

What about your passenger? Who pays for his injuries? If your passenger has his own no-fault auto insurance, then that policy will apply, even though he wasn’t driving at the time.

If that passenger does not have a policy of her own, such as if the passenger is a child, then her medical expenses will be paid by the insurance policy of a close family member living in the same household. This could be a spouse, parent, or other resident relative.

If the passenger lives alone or no one in his household has auto insurance, only then can he file a claim under your insurance policy, as the owner of the vehicle.

In the rare case where a passenger is injured, has no insurance policy of her own or a family member’s, and was riding in an uninsured vehicle, the State of Michigan will assign an insurance company to provide for medical benefits through the “assigned claims facility.” The owner or driver of an uninsured vehicle does not have the same protection.

Figuring out which no-fault insurance company will cover your claim in a car crash can be confusing. You need an experienced attorney to guide you through the process and make sure the right companies are involved. The lawyers at Christensen Law in Southfield, Michigan, have been representing injured drivers and passengers for over 20 years. They can help you file your claim and get the medical benefits you need to recover.