Michigan winters can be brutal. Knowing how to winterize your car is important to maintain the vehicle, but it is also essential when it comes to accident prevention. A car that is poorly cared for is more prone to failures, breakdowns, and other malfunctions that can lead to dangerous collisions in inclement weather.
Driving in Detroit Winters
Snow, sleet, and ice can quickly make driving conditions dangerous. Detroit is a busy city with plenty of traffic —and the more drivers on the road, the greater the likelihood of accidents. Winter weather only compounds the problem.
Here are some winter driving tips from Bridgestone Tire:
- Get familiar with your tires and drivetrain so you’ll be prepared for how they will adapt in unpredictable conditions.
- Drop your speed below 45 miles per hour when conditions warrant.
- Allow 6 to 10 seconds to stop.
- Constantly scan the road ahead and around you.
- If your vehicle is equipped with anti-lock brakes, you may feel them pulsate to keep them from locking up. Don’t let up on the brakes.
- When you need to accelerate, do so slowly to avoid losing control.
- Steer with smooth, fluid movements.
- Avoid oversteering and understeering.
- Be aware of bridges and overpasses which freeze faster than the road and where black ice presents a hazard.
Tips for Preparing Your Car for Winter
A well-prepared vehicle owner prepares for winter weather’s impact. The Kelley Blue Book offers the following suggestions to keep your vehicle at its peak for winter weather:
- Windshield wipers: Change blades and add fresh fluid that contains antifreeze.
- Tires: Check air pressure and treads. Switch to winter tires if necessary.
- Battery: Check to be sure all connections are secure and not corroded.
- Oil and antifreeze: Change both.
- Doors: Clean and apply lubricant to keep them from sticking.
- Lights and blinkers: Make sure they all work.
- Survival kit: Keep first aid items, water, durable food items, road flares, flashlight, phone charger, blanket, salt, a small snow shovel, and an ice scraper in your car in case an accident occurs.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Detroit, MI If You’ve Been Injured
Winter can be an accident-prone time of year for motorists, in Detroit and throughout the state of Michigan. Unfortunately, you can be seriously injured in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence in a matter of seconds.
Get in touch with a car accident lawyer in Detroit, MI with our law firm. We’ll listen to your story, investigate your case, and help you pursue the maximum amount of compensation possible. Our legal team is committed to righting the wrongs you have suffered and to recovering money that accounts for your physical, emotional, and financial losses.
Reach out to us today for a free consultation. We’re available 24/7 and can be reached by calling or filling out our online contact form.