Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions

heading divider

Personal Injury FAQs

I have been in an accident. What should I do?

Nothing is more important than your health. If you have a personal injury go to the doctor or emergency room first. Do not hesitate: Michigan’s no-fault act provides insurance coverage for your medical care if you don’t have health insurance. Many injuries, such as mild traumatic brain injuries, or even damaged spinal discs do not appear to be as serious at first, and only later you may discover how serious the injury is. This is why it is important to see a doctor after an accident.

Who will pay for my medical bills?

Don’t worry—the auto insurance companies or your health insurance company will cover most of your medical expenses. Whatever your health insurance does not cover, your no-fault auto insurance will cover. Your no-fault car insurance also covers any other expenses related to your care, recovery or rehabilitation like: Mileage for trips to the doctor, Home nursing or attendant care (even if provided by your friends or family), and Home accessibility needs like ramps, hand rails, and even widened hallways and doors.

I can’t work. Who will pay for my lost income?

Michigan no-fault auto insurance covers your lost wages if you are injured and cannot work. It will pay 85% of your gross wages for up to 3 years. Even if you were between jobs, but looking for work, you may qualify for lost wage payments, based on 85% of your gross pay at your most recent job.

What if I need help with housework?

The No-Fault Act has you covered here too. If you require assistance doing chores around the house because of your injuries, your no-fault insurer must pay up to $20 per day for someone to help you. This benefit can last up to 3 years.

Who is going to pay for my damaged car?

Michigan law requires the at-fault driver to pay the first $750 in repair bills for each car they damaged. Any amount above $750 is paid by your own collision insurance.

What if the driver that hit me was uninsured?

Every auto insurer offers optional uninsured motorist coverage. This additional insurance covers you and your car if the driver and vehicle that hit you was uninsured, or if they fled after the collision and cannot be found. It acts like insurance for the uninsured (or missing) driver that hit you. Uninsured motorist insurance is optional, so you may not have it. Wise drivers purchase this very inexpensive but important coverage to protect them against uninsured drivers’ negligence.

If you don’t have this insurance, and the driver that hit you does not have any insurance, or flees the scene, you will not be compensated for your damages.

What if the driver that hit me was under-insured?

If the at-fault driver did not have enough insurance to compensate you for all of your damages, your under-insured motorist insurance coverage will cover the shortfall. For example, if your injuries were serious and your damages were valued at $500,000, but the at-fault driver only had $100,000 in insurance, you would lose $400,000. If you had purchased under-insured motorist coverage, you would be protected up to the amount of coverage you buy. In this example, if you had bought $500,000 in coverage, your insurance would cover the shortfall up to $500,000.

The at-fault driver’s insurance company called me. What do I do?

Don’t be your own lawyer. The only reason the at-fault insurance company is calling you is to try to take advantage of your lack of experience and knowledge in this area. They will frequently offer very low settlements to unsuspecting accident victims before you can get advice from an attorney specializing in auto and truck accident cases. Call an attorney that specializes in auto and truck accident cases before making any deals with an insurance company.

When should I consult an attorney?

It is never too early to consult an attorney if you have been injured in a car accident. Any consultation should be free of charge, with no up-front payments whatsoever. Be sure your attorney specializes in serious truck and auto accidents for best results. Christensen Law never charges for a consultation, and guarantees that there will never be a fee unless you win your case.

If you believe you have suffered a traumatic brain injury (“TBI”), only consider attorneys that spend at least 80% or more of their practice handling these cases. A TBI case requires deep knowledge and experience to get the best results for this very serious injury. They are difficult to prove, yet are incredibly life altering events.

Don’t leave your future to an attorney that dabbles in the field. Find someone who teaches other attorneys how to best handle these cases, like David Christensen.

Where do I get my police report?

Most police departments make the police reports available online. If not, you can get a copy of your report at the police department that took your information at the accident scene.