Motorcycle Accident FAQ

heading divider

Christensen Law knows a motorcycle accident can leave you with a lot of questions. Every case is different, but some questions come up a lot among our clients. Here are some basic answers to those questions:

Motorcycle Accident FAQs

I’ve been in a motorcycle accident. What should I do?

Just like with a car accident, your first priority after a motorcycle accident should be your safety. Once you are in a safe place, contact police so they can create a report of the accident. If you are seriously hurt, go to the emergency room. Otherwise, get checked out by your doctor as soon as possible.

Who will pay for my medical expenses?

Who pays the medical expenses after a motorcycle accident depends on the accident and your optional insurance policies. If there was a motor vehicle involved in your crash, Michigan no-fault law applies. You may also choose to have no-fault motorcycle insurance, in which case, that policy will cover your doctor bills even when there is no car. If you don’t and there was no car involved, you may have to use up your health insurance to cover your bills.

What does my mandatory motorcycle insurance cover?

Michigan requires every biker to carry liability insurance. This doesn’t cover your injuries or damage to your bike. Instead, it pays for the harm you cause using your bicycle. It can be used to cover injuries suffered by passengers, pedestrians, or other motorists. You can also tap into it to pay for damage to roads, barriers, lawns, and other property caused by your accident.

Does it matter who is at fault?

Unlike the Michigan No-Fault Act, motorcycle accident lawsuits are based on fault. If you cause an accident with another motorcycle, barricade, or other property, you could be on the hook for the cost of your crash. If there was a car involved, though, your medical expenses, lost wages, and attendant care costs will be covered under no-fault.

Do I need to wear a helmet?

Every biker should wear a helmet for safety reasons. However, Michigan law allows some motorcyclists to receive a certification and opt out of this important safety equipment. To qualify, you must be 21 years old, maintain a motorcycle certification for at least 2 years, and carry at least $20,000 in first-party (no-fault) insurance coverage.

A pothole caused my crash. What do I do?

A pothole can easily send a motorcyclist off course and cause a serious injury accident. If the government knew about the road conditions and didn’t repair them, you may be able to get the city to cover some or all of your medical expenses.

When should I call a motorcycle accident attorney?

Once everyone is safe and emergency medical needs have been met, an experienced motorcycle accident attorney should be next on your to-do list. By getting the Christensen Law team involved early, we can help you identify possible insurance benefits, file claims, and negotiate to get your benefits paid quickly.