If someone else’s negligent actions hurt you or your loved one, you may be able to seek personal injury compensation. It may benefit you to hire a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate your insurance claim or lawsuit and prove that another party is liable for your damages.
If you have never worked with an attorney, you may not know what things to look for in a personal injury lawyer. Read on to learn more about selecting the right legal representation for you and your case.
How Do I Find the Right Personal Injury Lawyer for My Case?
If you suffered an injury because of another party’s negligent or wrongful actions, they should cover your damages, not you or your family. However, getting the awards that can help you recover can be a long and frustrating process, especially when insurance companies play hardball by delaying or denying a claim or settlement. The situation may be even more challenging if you have a severe injury from a complex accident.
You may decide to work with a personal injury attorney to protect your rights and ensure you receive your full and fair compensation. Who you hire can make a significant difference in your case, not only in the outcome but in your overall experience. It may be helpful to consider the following things when looking for a personal injury lawyer:
What Kind of Cases Does the Attorney Focus On?
Attorneys and law firms often focus on a certain type of legal representation, such as criminal defense, family law, or corporate law. If you or a loved one suffered an injury, you want to hire a personal injury lawyer. Even more specifically, you want an attorney who regularly handles cases involving the kind of accident or injury you suffered.
For example, our firm’s personal injury lawyers work on cases involving:
- Car accidents, truck accidents, bus accidents, and motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Construction accidents and workplace injury accidents
- Premises liability
- Nursing home abuse
- Spine injuries
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Catastrophic and serious injuries
- Wrongful death
What Case Experience Do They Have?
In addition to the types of cases they handle, you should ask any attorney you consider about their experience and record. You want someone whose experience includes resolving multiple personal injury claims, including taking their clients’ cases to trial.
Our firm has fought for Michigan injury victims since 1991. During that time, we have handled thousands of cases and hundreds of trials, achieving multimillion-dollar case results for our clients.
Do You Feel Comfortable With Them and Believe They Can Lead Your Case?
A lawyer and law firm can have a fantastic case record, but that means little if you do not feel comfortable working with them or are unsure if they are the right fit for your case.
First, you must be able to speak openly and honestly with your legal team about your accident and injuries and how they affect your life. If you cannot do this, your lawyer cannot represent you as effectively. You also could benefit from an attorney who genuinely listens to you so they can build a case that reflects your needs.
Second, you want a legal team that supports you and is there when you have questions or concerns. Ask any lawyer you consider how they communicate with clients and what procedures their firm follows to ensure they update you regularly on your claim or lawsuit’s status.
What Do They Charge, and When Do You Have to Pay Them?
Lawyers set up various fee structures for their services. Some attorneys charge a flat rate, while others charge an hourly fee. Others require an upfront retainer as a “down payment.”
Many personal injury lawyers, including those at our firm, accept cases on contingency. This means we represent you for nothing up front or out of pocket. Our payment comes from a pre-agreed-upon percentage of your settlement or verdict. If we do not win your case, you do not have to pay us for our services.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Many things go into building a solid injury case. If you hire a personal injury lawyer, you can expect them to:
- Investigate your accident. We will investigate the accident that caused your injury, determine who is liable, and collect evidence supporting your claim.
- Prove negligence. We will use evidence and the law to prove an at-fault party’s negligent actions caused your injury and why they should pay for your damages.
- Identify and assess your losses. Personal injury awards often include economic and non-economic compensation. We can identify the damages the liable party owes you, including current and future medical expenses, lost income, lost earning capacity, pain and suffering, and wrongful death damages for a fatally injured loved one.
- Manage your case’s details. We can take care of drafting and filing paperwork, tracking and following case deadlines, communicating with involved parties, and other “red tape” so you can focus on recovering from your injury or caring for your injured family member.
- Advocate for you, protecting your rights and interests. We will protect you from pushy insurance agents, pressure to settle for less than you deserve, lowball offers that fall short of your needs, and bad-faith tactics. We will negotiate to recover the maximum possible settlement that ensures you can meet your needs.
How Long Does It Take to Negotiate a Personal Injury Settlement?
Negotiating a personal injury settlement can take time. Although waiting for the money you need can be challenging, the right lawyer will not rush into accepting a hasty offer. Instead, they will ensure your compensation satisfies your losses. Our firm prepares every case for court and will not back down from going to trial if that is what it takes to get economic justice.
According to Michigan Compiled Laws § 600.5805, you have three years from the date of your injury or your loved one’s death to file most personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. Do not wait too long to get started. Doing so could leave you without options for financial recovery.
Contact Christensen Law About Your Personal Injury Today
Christensen Law’s compassionate lawyers have the experience and qualifications you should look for in a personal injury lawyer. You can learn more about our firm, ask questions, and get a feel for our team during a free consultation.
Call us at 248-900-9000 today for a free consultation.