Dealing with the aftermath of a motorcycle accident can be traumatic, stressful and confusing. Your motorcycle may be damaged or destroyed. You may have mounting and unpaid medical bills. You may be unable to work to support yourself and your family.
If you’ve been severely injured in a motorcycle crash in Grand Rapids, Christensen Law is here to help. We are here to make sure the at-fault party and the insurance company pay what you’re owed for your injuries and financial losses. We won’t let anyone take advantage of you if you’ve been hurt. We will help you negotiate a full and fair settlement or fight for you in court.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Grand Rapids that was caused by someone else, put a skilled and experienced personal injury lawyer on your side. An attorney will help you seek the compensation you need and deserve for your injuries.
If you need an experienced Grand Rapids motorcycle accident lawyer, choose Christensen Law. Our skilled and compassionate Grand Rapids motorcycle accident attorneys will help you move on from your crash. Call Christensen Law today to schedule a free and confidential consultation.
Why You Need a Lawyer After a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle accidents often result in devastating injuries. If someone’s negligence or recklessness caused your motorcycle accident in Michigan, you may be entitled to compensation.
The experienced attorneys at Christensen Law can investigate your motorbike accident, determine who is liable for your injuries and take steps to protect your legal rights. We are ready to negotiate with the insurance company to help you obtain a full and fair settlement. If necessary, we can litigate your case in court.
Our motorcycle accident lawyer can:
- Pursue all the no-fault insurance benefits that you are owed.
- Investigate and verify all insurance coverage in your case.
- Seek a full and fair settlement, including future economic losses and compensation for the pain and suffering your motorcycle crash caused.
Demanding payment for your motorcycle accident injuries
Michigan motorcycle crash law and the state’s no-fault laws are complicated. If a car or truck caused the motorcycle accident, that vehicle’s insurance carrier is responsible for paying certain benefits up to the amount of PIP (personal injury protection) coverage that the motor vehicle maintained.
PIP covers all the reasonably necessary medical expenses related to the accident. Those expenses include emergency room bills, hospital expenses, doctors’ bills, the cost of prescription drugs and other medical expenses. PIP benefits also cover most of your lost wages for three years, replacement services for three years, and attendant care, such as in-home nursing and home modifications.
As long as the driver who caused the motorcycle accident was at least 50% at-fault, as the injured motorcyclist you can collect non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering. You can also get several types of non-economic damages, including:
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of quality of life
Time Limit for Filing a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
In Michigan, a motorcycle accident attorney can make two types of claims for a motorcyclist injured in a crash with another vehicle. At Christensen Law, we have experience pursuing both claims. We can also ensure that you meet the deadlines that apply to your claims.
- First-party claim – This is a lawsuit between you, the motorcycle accident victim, and the insurance company responsible for No-Fault benefits, which are also known as PIP (Personal Injury Protection) benefits. The statute of limitations is one year from the date of your motorcycle accident.
- Third-party claim – This is a lawsuit filed against the negligent driver responsible for causing your motorcycle accident. Damages available in your third-party claim include pain and suffering as well as economic benefits. The statute of limitations for a third-party claim is three years from the date of your motorcycle accident.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Grand Rapids
All vehicles on the roads in Grand Rapids are at risk for a crash. However, motorcycles are uniquely at risk for motorcycle crashes that cause serious and even catastrophic injuries. Common causes of motorcycle accidents in Grand Rapids include:
- Invisibility of Motorcyclists – Motorcycles are much smaller than trucks, cars and other passenger vehicles. That is one reason why motorcyclists can be functionally invisible to other motorists. Motorists may make left turns in front of motorcyclists’ right of way at an intersection, causing a crash. Motorcyclists driving in the blind spot of cars are at risk for cut-offs, violations of the motorcyclists’ right-of-way and serious collisions between the two vehicles. Motorcyclists are at even greater risk when around trucks, which often have several large blind spots.
- Distracted Driving – Activities like eating, texting and operating the radio or a cell phone can cause driver distraction. Distracted drivers are much more likely to cause a motorcycle accident than drivers giving their full attention to the road. Studies show that motorists who text and drive are nearly as deadly as intoxicated drivers.
- Dooring – Dooring occurs when a driver or passenger exiting a vehicle opens a car door into traffic. When motorists and passengers fail to watch for oncoming traffic, they risk opening the door into the path of a motorcyclist.
- Sudden Stops – Motorcycle riders making sudden stops can be injured by rear-end accidents when other cars behind them do not stop in time. Motorcyclists can be severely injured by those types of rear-end collisions.
Talk to a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Grand Rapids Now
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. At Christensen Law, we handle motorcycle accident cases in the greater Grand Rapids area. Our highly skilled attorneys will investigate all aspects of your motorcycle accident. We know how to build a strong case on your behalf. We are ready to guide you through every step of the legal process, and we can help you navigate Michigan’s complex insurance laws.
At Christensen Law, you’ll find a Personal Injury Lawyer that specializes in any type of injury case:
- Grand Rapids Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Grand Rapids Truck Accident Lawyer
- Grand Rapids Car Accident Lawyer
- Grand Rapids Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Grand Rapids Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The Grand Rapids motorcycle accident attorneys at Christensen Law are committed to helping you move forward with your life. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we don’t get paid unless we help you recover compensation. To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation, call us today.