Property owners and managers have a responsibility to protect lawful visitors on their premises. When they fail to do so and someone gets injured in a slip and fall accident, these managers and owners must be held accountable for their negligent and wrongful actions.
If you were injured or your loved one was killed in a slip and fall accident in Detroit, Christensen Law is here to help you stand up for your rights and provide for your future. For more than 30 years, we’ve been helping clients across Detroit and surrounding areas after they were harmed in accidents through no fault of their own. Call Christensen Law today at 248-900-9000 for your free consultation and discuss working with our Detroit slip and fall lawyer.
Compensation Available After a Slip and Fall Accident
The Christensen Law team has recovered millions of dollars for our clients, and these settlements allow our clients to go forward with more financial security and peace of mind. Our experiences with slip and fall cases mean we know what to look for when it comes to potential damages, and we’ll make sure we fight for every penny you are owed.
Some of the types of economic and non-economic damages typically available after a slip and fall accident may include:
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of ability to participate in enjoyable activities
- Medical bills for doctor visits, surgeries, medication, and other treatments
- Lost ability to work or earn comparable income in the future
- Emotional distress
- Disability accommodations, medical devices, and specialized equipment
- Lost ability to perform household duties like caring for children, cleaning, taking care of the yard, managing finances, and performing maintenance around the house
Recoverable Damages in a Detroit Wrongful Death Case
After a loved one’s passing, dealing with claims and lawsuits can be daunting. Our goal is to help you by taking these matters off your plate so you and your family can focus on grieving.
Wrongful death cases provide eligible survivors of family members killed in accidents with compensation to help cover damages, which may include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills
- The decedent’s pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of parental guidance
- Lost financial support
Negligent parties deserve to be held responsible for their actions, so let us focus on this part of the process.
Why Hire the Christensen Law After a Slip and Fall Accident in Detroit?
The Christensen Law team is different from most other law firms, and that’s a good thing. Rather than offering a corporate feel, we provide human-centric, client-focused, and results-oriented legal service. Though the goal is to get compensation for you, our attorneys work hard to connect with clients on a personal level.
You may hire a slip and fall lawyer from Christensen Law because:
- You value in-person legal service: With an office on Griswold Street in Detroit, our clients know exactly where to find us. Though we’re always available to answer phone calls and emails, we encourage you to stop by our office whenever you want in-person counsel.
- You want a lawyer who will listen: We believe that one of the most valuable things our lawyer can do is listen to you and your expereinces. Christensen Law is all about our clients, and we want to hear your story. Rather than a law firm that talks at its clients, we have a two-way discussion about your case.
- You’ve seen our reputation for taking cases to trial: We prepare every case as if it will end up at trial. Our firm’s case results prove that we act in the client’s best interest, even if that means taking your case to court.
- You want an attorney who is more than just an attorney: At Christensen Law, lawyers serve as advisors, shoulders to lean on, and protectors. As soon as you decide to hire Christensen Law, you become family. Our brand of legal service will be a breath of fresh air during a difficult time in your life.
We care about your case, and we intend to get justice for you.
Our Slip and Fall Lawyers Provide Effective Representation Built on Respect
Our slip and fall lawyers are committed to providing clients with the legal services they need while also showing them the respect and personalized attention they deserve.
The team at Christensen Law has the skills and resources to help clients like you get the results that matter.
At Christensen Law, we will:
- Take the time to listen to your concerns
- Get to know your personal story and circumstances
- Patiently answer any questions you might have
- Help you understand your legal options
- Give you straight answers about your case
- Fight to help you protect your rights, so you can relax and recover from your injuries
Don’t wait to stand up for your rights and protect your future after a slip and fall accident. Contact the experienced and compassionate Detroit slip and fall attorneys at Christensen Law today. We’ve helped people just like you achieve record-setting settlements for their injuries and get on the road to recovery.
Why You Might Want a Lawyer for a Slip and Fall Case
Victims who work with an experienced slip and fall attorney benefit from protection against bad-faith insurance practices. Some insurance companies and liable parties often try to take advantage of victims after slip and fall accidents.
Insurers typically offer victims low settlements and then try to convince victims that they’ll miss out on compensation if they don’t accept the offer quickly, or that the offer is the highest amount of compensation they’ll be able to get. However, these low offers usually don’t provide enough money to cover victims’ full expenses. A slip and fall lawyer from Christensen Law can help you avoid these pitfalls.
Slip and fall accidents often cause devastating injuries that can affect victims for the rest of their lives. Many slip and fall victims not only have to deal with chronic pain and other lifelong conditions, but they’re also weighed down with costly medical bills and other losses from their accidents.
What Our Team Can Do To Help Your Case in Detroit
A trusted Detroit slip and fall lawyer from Christensen Law can relieve these burdens by helping you fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. Some ways a slip and fall accident lawyer from our firm can help you include:
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf to help you get the compensation you’re owed
- Representing you in discussions with insurance companies and other parties, so you don’t mistakenly say something that insurers can use to deny your claim or reduce your compensation
- Fully investigating your case to determine who was liable for the accident
- Gathering evidence to support your case, including medical records, accident reports, and other critical documents
- Taking pictures of the accident scene, speaking with witnesses, and collecting other useful evidence
- Hiring experts, such as medical and occupational specialists, who can testify about the cause of your accident and the severity of your injuries
- Completing and filing all paperwork promptly
- Fighting for your rights in court if needed
- Giving you the support and understanding you need throughout your case
What Do You Have To Prove in a Slip and Fall Case?
In order to seek compensation in a slip and fall case, our team must determine who was liable for the accident. Parties that might hold some responsibility include the property owner, premises manager, a third-party contractor, a landlord, a local municipality, and other guests.
We must also prove that the liable individual or company was negligent in some way. Specifically, we’ll aim to prove that:
- The liable party (such as the property owner) either caused, knew about, or should have known about the hazard that caused your accident.
- The liable party failed to fix or take reasonable measures to prevent the hazard.
- This hazard and the liable party’s wrongdoing or negligence caused your accident and the resulting injuries.
- You suffered damages as a result of their negligence.
Additionally, we must show that you were on the property legally. The law protects invitees and licensees, such as customers, employees, invited guests, tenants, and contractors, who are injured in slip and fall accidents.
Our lawyers are ready to prove the liability of those responsible for your slip and fall accident in Detroit.
Time Limit for Filing a Slip and Fall Lawsuit
Protecting your health should be your priority after a slip and fall accident. We will fight your case while protecting your rights, so contact our team as soon as possible once you are safe.
Under Michigan’s statute of limitations, Michigan Compiled Laws § 600.5805, victims typically have three years from the date of the accident to file a slip and fall lawsuit. After this deadline passes, victims usually cannot recover any compensation. Your slip and fall case might be an exception to this rule if the property owner was a government entity or if you were injured as a minor. However, you should act quickly to hire a lawyer, assuming that you may face a deadline for filing your case.
It’s important not to wait too long to speak with an attorney, as it can take time to investigate your case and gather evidence. Contacting an attorney sooner rather than later will give us the best chance of building a strong case on your behalf.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents often lead to devastating injuries, such as broken bones, traumatic brain injuries (TBI), chronic pain, spinal fractures, serious neck and shoulder damage, sprains, strains, and many other kinds of severe injuries.
Some of the most common causes of these types of traumatic accidents include:
- Spilled liquids
- Trash, merchandise, or other debris or foreign objects in a walkway
- Poor lighting
- Improper training of staff
- Splashed grease
- Cracked or damaged sidewalks
- Loose mats or carpet
- Bright lights that cause a glare on walkways
- Open drawers or cabinets
- Uncleared snow
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
- Torn carpet
- Substandard flooring materials
- Missing or broken handrails
- Recently waxed or mopped floors
- Failure to inspect or maintain a property
- Uneven staircases and other areas that don’t meet building codes
- Rainwater or snow tracked in by guests
- Failing to use safety measures, such as entrance mats to soak up rainwater off of guests’ shoes
- Untreated ice
- Failing to block off dangerous areas
- Loose floorboards
- Lack of non-slip materials on areas like stairs or sloping floors
- Stray wires, cords, or ropes
- Failing to provide handrails or other safety devices
- Floor transitions that are difficult to detect
- Poorly constructed stairs
- Failure to post signs to warn people about hazardous conditions
As part of our service to you, our attorneys will diagnose and document the cause of your slip and fall in Detroit.
Common Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
A fall injury can happen anywhere, at any time. Some common places where slip and fall accidents occur include:
- Department stores
- Retail shops
- Public parks
- Apartment buildings
- Gyms and workout studios
- Swimming pools
- Grocery stores
- Public sidewalks
- Gas stations
- Big box stores and warehouses
- Childcare facilities
- Parking lots and garages
- Vacation rental properties
- Elevators and escalators
- Stadiums, arenas, and other sports complexes
- Construction sites
- Nursing, retirement, and assisted living homes
- Private homes
- Business offices
- Amusement parks and carnivals
- Opera houses, theaters, and cinemas
- Resorts and hotels
Talk to a Detroit Slip and Fall Attorney from Christensen Law Today at No Cost
Don’t wait until it’s too late to seek the compensation you deserve for a slip and fall accident. Call Christensen Law right away at 248-900-9000 to discuss your case and learn how our experienced slip and fall lawyers can help you fight for your rights.