If you have been injured or a loved one was killed in a bicycle accident, you have legal options. When you are not the one who caused the accident, you may feel frustrated that you are dealing with damages like medical bills, mental anguish, and pain and suffering. However, you might be entitled to compensation for some of your accident-related damages. Our Detroit bicycle accident lawyers from Christensen Law are here to help fight for your rights.
Our dedicated bicycle accident attorneys have been serving Detroit and surrounding areas for more than 30 years. As demonstrated by our client testimonials and case results, Christensen Law is committed to helping victims pursue fair outcomes in their cases. We provide clients with industry-leading legal representation coupled with a commitment to world-class customer service.
Don’t delay in pursuing your rights after a bicycle accident. Call Christensen Law today at 248-900-9000 for a free consultation.
Compensation You Could Recover After a Bike Accident in Detroit
Our firm has successfully delivered millions of dollars to thousands of clients, and we’re familiar with the injuries that bicycle accident victims in Detroit experience. You may be able to pursue compensation through one of the following avenues:
Seeking Compensation Through an Insurance Claim
Cyclists who are involved in a motor vehicle accident through no fault of their own can generally pursue compensation. First, injured cyclists may recover benefits through their own no-fault insurance policy. If the cyclist does not have a no-fault policy, they may have other options for pursuing a settlement, such as filing a lawsuit against the at-fault party or filing a claim with the liable insurance carrier. Michigan law requires all drivers to carry at least a no-fault insurance policy with minimum limits, which typically helps cover:
- All necessary medical care and expenses
- Up to 85% of lost income for up to three years
- Up to $20 per day in replacement services for housework or other tasks that can’t be performed due to injury
Seeking Compensation Through a Lawsuit
Insurance claims do not always result in an appropriate settlement. Cyclists who suffer serious injuries in accidents caused by negligent drivers may file a bicycle accident lawsuit to recover fair compensation for damages such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income and loss of earning potential
- Loss of quality of life
- Property damage
Our firm is committed to pursuing compensation for clients whose lives have been affected because of a bicycle accident in Detroit. Our experienced and skillful attorneys will determine all legal options, and advise you of the best course of action for your particular circumstances.
We Seek Justice for Surviving Victims of Fatal Bicycle Accidents in Detroit
If your loved one passed away from injuries they suffered in a bicycle accident, you might be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. These types of suits help provide victims’ eligible family members with compensation to cover damages and losses from tragic bicycle accidents. Recoverable damages in wrongful death cases may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost companionship and care
- Medical costs
- Loss of the decedent’s financial contributions to the family
A wrongful death case can bring a sense of justice after a devastating loss. Let us advocate for you and your family.
Why Choose Christensen Law for Your Detroit Bicycle Accident Case?
The Christensen Law team is not like most other law firms. We pride ourselves on providing not only excellent legal services but also on our personal approach, something that is rare among law firms. We are a team of compassionate and hard-working attorneys who:
- Fight for a fair financial recovery: Accepting an unfair settlement is not part of our plan. Our attorneys approach each case with a trial-bound philosophy. Accordingly, we’re fully prepared and never caught off guard, and always negotiating from a position of strength.
- Give your case personalized attention: Every client and case is different. Our approach is tailored to your needs, and to the specifics of your case. You will meet and know your entire legal team, who will always make sure you understand how your case is progressing. When you have questions, we’re here to answer them.
- LISTEN PROTECT WIN: This is our guiding principle – it underscores everything we do. You can expect us to listen to you, protect you from anyone who might violate your rights, and do everything we can to secure fair compensation for you.
We’re here for you, literally. As a law firm built by Michiganders to serve Michiganders, look no further than Christensen Law when you need a bicycle accident lawyer in Detroit.
Determining Liability in a Bicycle Accident Case
To file a case and recover compensation after a bicycle accident, we must prove that another party was liable for your accident and that their negligent, wrongful, or careless actions caused your injuries. Specifically, we will aim to prove that:
- The responsible party had a duty to protect you. For example, if a careless driver caused your accident, we will show they had a responsibility to drive carefully and protect others on the road.
- The responsible party failed to uphold their duty to protect you by doing something reckless, wrongful, or negligent, such as texting while driving.
- The liable party’s negligence or wrongdoing caused the accident that led to your injuries.
- You have suffered damages because of the negligent or wrongful party’s actions.
How Our Detroit Bicycle Accident Lawyers Will Fight for You
Christensen Law is a full-service law firm. Our experienced bicycle accident attorneys will:
- Evaluate your case for free
- Help you understand your legal options and guide you in determining the best approach for your personal situation
- Fully investigate your accident
- Collect evidence to support your claim
- Determine liability for the accident
- Provide deep knowledge and experience on laws, rules, and regulations that might impact your claim
- Build a strong case to prove what or who caused the accident and the severity of your injuries
- Calculate how much your case is worth
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf for a fair settlement
- File a bicycle accident claim on your behalf and fight in court to help you recover maximum compensation
- Answer any questions you have about your case
- Provide the support you need throughout this difficult time in your life
How We Determine Fault After a Bicycle Accident
Critical to your case is establishing fault for your bicycle accident in Detroit. After a bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle, each party’s representatives and insurance companies may launch their own investigations to determine who was at fault for the wreck. We will serve as your representative, and conduct a thorough investigation of the collision.
We will review many types of evidence, such as the official police report, photos from the accident scene, videos, and eyewitness testimony. Other relevant items may include maintenance records, public announcements, and manufacturer recalls determining what might have caused the collision and what parties are liable. We may also hire experts, such as traffic specialists, who can reconstruct the accident scene.
Examples of parties who might be at fault in bicycle accidents include:
- A negligent motorist. Distracted, drunk, drowsy, and other types of reckless drivers often cause wrecks when they fail to pay attention to cyclists. These drivers cause serious injuries when they take dangerous actions, such as turning in front of a bike, opening their door in front of an oncoming cyclist, and swerving into the cyclist’s path.
- State or local authorities. If dangerous road conditions contributed to the crash, then a government agency might hold some liability. These groups are responsible for ensuring that roads are safe for all travelers, including cyclists.
- A bar or restaurant. If a drunk driver hits a bicyclist after drinking at a bar or restaurant, then the establishment might be partially responsible. Under Michigan’s “dramshop” laws, innocent parties injured in accidents by drunk drivers can sue the restaurant or bar if the driver was a minor or if the establishment overserved a driver who was visibly intoxicated.
- A third party. Depending on the nature of the accident, a third party might also hold some responsibility. Examples of these parties include the vehicle’s manufacturer, the bicycle’s manufacturer, or the person or company responsible for maintaining or loading the vehicle involved in the crash. For commercial drivers, their employer might also be liable if the accident occurred while the driver was working.
Each case presents different facts and considerations. The Christensen Law team will determine who owes you compensation, and we’ll work to ensure you are compensated justly.
Statute of Limitations on Bicycle Accident Lawsuits
Michigan’s statute of limitations restricts the time victims have to file any type of personal injury lawsuit. For bicycle accidents, victims typically have up to three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit, per Michigan Compiled Laws § 600.5805. There are some narrow exceptions to this rule that might shorten or lengthen the timeline. This is why it is important to speak with us as soon as possible after your accident.
An experienced bicycle accident attorney can help determine which laws and exceptions apply to your case, and they can help you file a claim as soon as possible.
What Should I Do After a Bicycle Accident?
There are a number of steps you can take after a bicycle accident. Your immediate actions could impact the outcome of your case and your safety. To protect your best interests, our team recommends you:
Get Medical Assistance
Call 911 for immediate assistance. Bicycle accidents typically lead to serious and sometimes life-threatening injuries. First responders can help provide critical care for accident victims.
If you didn’t receive medical assistance at the time of your accident, visit a medical professional as soon as possible to have your injuries evaluated. Many injuries in bicycle accidents aren’t immediately obvious but left untreated, these injuries can cause serious issues.
When you see a physician, they can evaluate you for any visible or hidden injuries, treat your injuries, and help reduce the chance that your wounds will cause you problems in the future. A doctor can also provide a medical report that will be a crucial piece of evidence if you file a claim for your accident.
Take photographs or video of the accident scene, your injuries, and damage to your bicycle or protective gear. Capture pictures of traffic signals, skid marks, property damages, road debris, and other physical evidence of the entire scene.
If there were witnesses, ask them to write down or record what they saw. Witness accounts are particularly helpful if you were in a hit-and-run accident. They might be able to provide the vehicle’s license plate number or a description of the driver. Keep a journal of the names, contact information, and notes on anyone you speak with about the accident. Witnesses may also have dash-cam or other photographic imagery that can help reconstruct the event.
Write down anything you can remember about the accident, including what you saw or words the driver said after the accident. Even if the driver apologizes or says something simple like “I didn’t see you,” then the court might consider this as an admission of fault for the accident. Additionally, if police responded to your accident, request a copy of their official accident report.
Avoid Talking to Insurance Representatives
Many insurance companies try to take advantage of bicycle accident victims by contacting them soon after the accident while they are still in shock and disoriented, or overwhelmed with the aftermath. Insurers want to pay out as little as possible, so they often try to trick victims into saying things they can use to reject or reduce their claims. Insurers may also try to convince you to make a written or recorded statement before you are ready to do so. We would advise you to speak with an attorney before you make any statements to insurance adjusters or companies.
A skilled bicycle accident attorney can speak with them on your behalf, so you don’t have to risk mistakenly saying something that could jeopardize your claim. Additionally, insurance companies often try to talk victims into accepting lowball offers that won’t cover their total expenses. However, your attorney can negotiate with insurance companies to seek the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Lawyer
An experienced lawyer from Christensen Law can protect your rights after a bicycle accident and fight for the justice and full compensation that you’re owed.
The Scope of Bicycle Accidents in Michigan
Bicycle accident fatalities and injuries impact thousands of people across Michigan each year, according to reports by the Michigan State Police. Unfortunately, these statistics are not likely to improve anytime soon. According to studies by the Western Michigan University and the National Safety Council, motor vehicle accidents cause nearly 70 percent of cyclist fatalities each year, and over 90 percent of bicycle crash fatalities occur on streets without bike lanes.
Despite promises by the Michigan government to improve cyclist safety across the state, many neighborhoods and streets throughout the Detroit area still lack dedicated bike lanes. This forces cyclists to ride in regular lanes with much larger vehicles like motorized cars and trucks – which can be a very risky and often deadly journey.
Unfortunately, we have frequently seen firsthand the impact of serious bike accidents. We are experienced in these types of accidents and will bring that expertise to your case.
Common Injuries Caused by Bicycle Accidents
Some of the most common injuries in bicycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Facial injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Ruptured discs
- Bowel contusions
- Neurological damage
- Chronic pain
- Dental fractures
- Ruptured spleen
- Traumatic hernias
- Mobility loss
- Internal bleeding
- Pelvic fractures
- Vision loss
- Cuts, lacerations, contusions, and bruises
- Spinal cord damage and other serious back and neck injuries
- Rib fractures
- Emotional trauma
- Concussions, skull fractures, and other serious head and brain injuries
Talk to a Detroit Bicycle Accident Attorney Now
If you’re suffering from injuries caused by a bicycle accident or have lost a loved one, Christensen Law will help you seek justice and fair compensation. To get started, call Christensen Law today at 248-900-9000 for a free consultation.