Truck Accident FAQs

heading divider

Christensen Law knows that a truck accident can turn your life on its head. While every case is different, there are some questions that are common among truck accident victims. Here are basic answers to a few of those questions:

Truck Accident FAQs

I’ve been hit by a truck. What should I do?

Your first priority should always be your health. Truck accidents often involve very serious injuries. Don’t hesitate to go to the emergency room if you need it. Many injuries may fully develop in the days following an accident. So even if your injuries aren’t immediately apparent, get checked out by your doctor soon after the accident. Michigan’s no-fault act will cover the cost.

When should I call a truck accident attorney?

A truck accident attorney should be high on the list of people you call after an accident. Your auto insurance policy may require you to file a notice of claim within days of the accident. But statements you make on that form could affect your no-fault benefits later on. Your truck accident attorney will help you file the right claims with the right companies without giving up any of your benefits.

Who should I sue? The truck driver or the trucking company?

Truck accidents often involve more insurance policies than a car accident. You may possible claims against your own insurance company, the trucking company, the driver, and even the owner of the cargo. Your Third Party lawsuit may need to include several defendants to make sure all your claims are covered.

How can I prove the truck driver was at fault?

Often, your truck accident attorneys will review the truck driver’s log books. These can show that the driver has violated federal laws on when and how long he or she can be on the road. That can prove that the truck driver was at fault. You may also be able to use police reports, accident reconstruction, and witness testimony to explain what happened and who is to blame.

Who will pay for damage to my property?

Trucking accidents often result in damage to the land and property around the crash. The vehicle itself may damage guard rails, overpasses, or landscape. Hazardous materials could affect a much broader area of property. Often a cargo owner’s insurance policy will cover damage done to your property because of a spill or crash. Other times, the trucking company or driver’s policy will provide liability insurance to cover property damage.